As long as it's Red

On the occassion of Holi - a post dedicated to the phenomenon that is Colour.

My very first box of crayons had exactly six colours in it. SIX. I hadn't learnt to count by then but i wondered nonetheless, how i would ever be able to remember all their names. When i was a little older, my teacher informed me that there existed, in fact, seven colours, all VIBGYOR of them (Not counting black and white, for they are not considered as colours at all). Somehow, to me the concept of how the rainbow was formed seemed a lot simpler than trying to distinguish between violet and indigo. One of my later boxes of crayons had over 30 colours, including at least 5 shades of yellow and 8 shades of blue. It was then that i decided i'd stick to the 7 that i knew and hopefully my life will never depend on having to identify various shades of them.

However, i soon realised that this definitely wasn't the case with everyone else i knew, least of all the female species. Women somehow seem to live in a technicolor world, for they generally know just about every shade of every colour. Quite a gift. To illustrate my point more clearly, just the other day as i complimented my friend on her brand new 'blue' phone, she looked quizzically at me, and informed me (like she was teaching an unenlightened 5-year-old) that it was, in fact, aquamarine, and not blue. I surrendered.

Specifying colours right down to their most exact shade is frighteningly popular as well. It's never off-white any more, but ivory, or cream. Not pink but peach. Not blue but azure, or turquoise. Not red but maroon. Not grey but slate. Even black, the purest of them all, hasn't been spared. We now have carbon, ebony and midnight black, to name a few.

On a different note, colours do play a major role in a person's life. They can evoke greatly different reactions from a person or stir in them a variety of emotions. Colours can inspire, or depress a person to the same degree. They may serve as tools of intimidation, or even to express oneself. Maybe that's why Tiger Woods pulls out a blood red sweater on the first day of a tour. Or why the Australian cricket team, in their bright yellow uniforms are the all-conquering team that they are. Or why we express grief by wearing white or black at a funeral, or brighter colours at a party.

I think the more colour we add to our miserably grey lives, the better.
Let's celebrate the festival of colours and add some to our lives, not just on this day, but everyday.

“Mere colour, unspoiled by meaning, and unallied with definite form, can speak to the soul in a thousand different ways.” - Oscar Wilde

Comments

Lost Sound said…
DUDE! Love the blogs, and i love the pik of the warning drunks sign haha. It made me LAUGH! Please keep blogging! Them interesting to read man!! ;)
Still Waters said…
DUDE!
its such a hawt post, man!
i mean, all those colors, man!!
i mean, you've got it all going fr you man!

rofl..
on a more serious note..
I think you've pretty much described the phenomenon of women knowing more about colors, quite well.

Men always have been colorblind.

Yes, I'm being sexist, so sue me. :P

Ps: I could never figure out why we had an onus of 14-15 colors in a crayon box. Those always confused me. So, I can understand your agony perfectly well.
Lost Sound said…
hey dude? (still waters) ur sarcasm SUCKS! >.> Other than that, Grin & Bare It? - this is still an awesome post man :) Its deep dude, deep...
Lost Sound said…
oh btw...i kinda stole that pik of the drunkard sign - i posted it on my blog hehe :P sorry man but its funny, and if'n ya don't mind too, i got your blog as a link on the bottom of my blog...if that makes any sense...


DUUUUUDDDEEEE ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Still Waters said…
Erm.. Mr. Lost Sound.. ??
I wasn't referring to you at all..

I was just being my usual, goofy self..

I don't see why you're so offended.
Pfft.
Lost Sound said…
lol i wasn't offended :) I was myself being my normal self lol Sorry if you saw my humour that way, but thats...well thats just my humour :S lol
PJ said…
randomly came across ur blog... beautifully writtn simple n effective... n i totally agree w/ women n sense of colour we're turely gifted... :) cheers keep it up..

Popular posts from this blog

Misgovernment

The Name's Blog, Web-Log